Old fashioned raisin bars are a thin, cake-like spice bar loaded with raisins and topped with a creamy frosting.
They are moist, with a tender crumb, plump raisins and perfectly spiced. Easy to make and are a great snack or even breakfast.
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar or 1 cup white sugar
- 2/3 cup sour milk or 1 cup sour milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup chopped raisins
- 1/2 cup melted shortening
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- dash of ground cloves
- Combine raisins and sour milk in a saucepan; bring to simmer over medium heat.
- Remove from heat and add shortening; cool to lukewarm.
- Add to a mixing bowl: raisin-milk & shortening solution, sugar and egg.
- Sift dry ingredients together and add to the mixing bowl; beat until thoroughly blended.
- Spread evenly in a greased and floured (or lined and sprayed) 15 1/2″ x 10 1/2″ x 1″ sheet pan.
- Bake in preheated 350° oven about 20 minutes or until surface springs back when lightly touched with fingertips.
- Cool then cut.